This is a tutorial showing you how to easily hack flash (.swf) games!
You only need two things:
- A flash game (in .swf format) and
- Flasm (an amazing flash disassembler).
Step 1 Download Flasm
Flasm can be downloaded from the no|wrap.de website.
Step 2 Save & Extract
Save and extract the .zip file into a folder on your desktop (for the ease of this tutorial). Here is what you will end up with:
Note: I renamed my folder "Flasm".
Step 3 Game Source
I usually use Newgrounds.com to find good flash games.
Step 4 Select the Game
Now, select a game to hack and open up the game page. I have chosen the game Stick War for this tutorial.
Step 5 View Page Info
Next, right-click next to the game and select "View Page Info".
Step 6 Media File
Select the "Media" tab and find an embedded file that looks like it relates to your game in the list of media.
Step 7 Save As
Highlight the file and "Save As" into the Flasm folder on your desktop.
Now, we have to disassemble the compiled flash file, for which we need to use CMD prompt.
Step 8 Open Up CMD Prompt
Step 9 Change Directory
Change the directory to your Flasm folder. For this, you will need to type in something like this:
cd c:\Documents and Settings\Sy\Desktop\Flasm
Step 10 Disassemble File
Now that you're in the Flasm directory, we can proceed to disassemble the file and convert it into a text file using this command:
flasm -d 509310_stickwarfull.swf > StickWar.txt
This will create a .txt file of the flash game in the same directory.
Note: I am using a file called 509310_stickwarfull.swf, you will most likely be using another file name (for example, 388597_yourgame.swf).
For the time being, minimize the CMD prompt screen, but DON'T close it.
Now the fun begins...
Now that we have a text document containing the ActionScript of the game, we can start to edit it and make some changes to the game.
Step 11 Open the .TXT File
Open up the .txt file you've just created in the Flasm directory. Once the text file is open (using Notepad) you will see lines and lines of code. At first sight this looks confusing, but we're just going to 'pick' at the bits we want to modify.
Step 12 Choose a Value
Search for a value or element of the game that you want to change. For this tutorial, I will be changing the 'cost' of buying people in the Stick War game (obviously, at a lower cost, lol).
Step 13 Find the Element
Use CTRL + F to find a phrase you're looking for. In this case, I chose 'COST', which after a few times searching, I found the elements that I wanted to change.
Step 14 Modify
Make your modifications now, and save the file and close it. I have changed the cost of miners, archers, sword-men, etc.
Made all your alterations and saved the file? Let's get to building the game back together now.
Step 15 Bring up the Minimized CMD Prompt
Step 16 Assemble the File
You will just need to type in something like this:
flasm -a StickWar.txt
A comment will appear in CMD saying that it was successfully assembled:
Step 17 Play the Game!
I tend to move the game files to a separate folder (by the name of the game).
Put the text file, .swf and .$wf into the newly created folder. You can place this folder anywhere you want now.
Open up the .swf file in your browser - Play Hard, Play Hacked!
This is the game, fully hacked. So within seconds I have enough to quickly complete the level.
- Flash Games are written by coders of all shapes and sizes. You might find that one coder has called their currency GOLD in their game, and another coder that has called their currency COIN or CASH. It might take a while for you to peruse the text document to find what you need to change.
- I DO NOT condone hacking high scores that can be uploaded to sites. Not fun at all and pretty damn unfair, don't you think?
- When you open up your modified flash game, you will probably find that there will be no sound and the layout of the game has changed. This is because the sound files are usually stored separately and the layout is improved by using HTML to cover up the 'dirty' bits.
Thanks for checkin' out this tutorial and have fun!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades